Google may be the giant among giants of search engines, but that does not mean that it is the most efficient. Although Google’s spiders have indexed a large portion of the web, we often do not need 16 million results. Instead, we need fast and efficient results that most match our current needs.
Private search engines offer a great alternative to Google in being able to offer specialized content, or in returning the most relevant content. The most efficient search engines are designed to return results based on a specific type of content. Examples include:
- TruePeopleSearch—This search engine is another example of a search engine made expressly for a specific type of content. If you need to search the web for someone, this search engine removes the clutter of unrelated content and lets you find only things related to the search you are performing. You can search by name, address or telephone number.
- WolframAlpha—WolframAlpha is a computational search engine. It provides facts and data for numerous topics. Curated answers from various reputable sources offer quick answers instead of taking you to individual webpages. WolframAlpha can save vast quantities of time when you need immediate answers. From calculus to the unlimited number of questions kids can ask, this is a great go-to resource.
- Hot—offers content specifically for all corners of the net. Whatever search query you enter, you will get closely related content that best matches your search. In only providing one type of content, users are much more likely to see the most relevant results for their search. Other private search engines are more efficient than Google because they do not limit results based on a large amount of data compiled about your previous search queries. General content search engines that are more efficient than Google:
- Hotbot offers searches without any tracking, with neutral and objective search results. To control what users see, the larger search engines show results based on our past search history. The filter of past history can often result in seeing the same information over and over again. On Hotbot, each user gets the same unbiased results. Hotbot also offers a safe search feature that allows you to choose a strict setting. This setting does a terrific job of filtering out any inappropriate content and makes it an excellent option for letting children search the internet.
- DuckDuckGo—DuckDuckGo allows the option to be your default search engine. Results come from a partnership with larger search engines but never records your IP address. DuckDuckGo could not reveal information about your search habits as they never record them, to begin with. They also offer an instant answer option that allows you to access vast amounts of data without ever leaving the search engine. Though there are non-targeted ads, they do not clutter up the look of the page and are clearly delineated from the content. This delineation means you don’t waste time trying to avoid ads when looking for content.
Private search engines contain no targeted advertisement so that you are not distracted while searching. Clear and concise results based only on your query and not a user profile of past history makes it easier to find what you need every time.